Sunday, April 26, 2009

"USING THE GIFT OF GAB"


Hello everyone!!
I wish to recall an incident that happened during my visit to my uncle's house in Trichy about 2 years back. My cousin( my uncle's daughter) was in 2nd std then(about 6 years old). I am very bad when it comes to talking or playing with children. I only get along well with my peer group. So no matter how much my cousin tried to involve me into playing housie , her barbie or her kitchen set , it was a total disaster. Then I actually found myself beginning to enjoy my cousin's company , her innocence , etc( I had promised my mum that I will be nice to her).One of the most important reasons why I began to like my cousin is that she had a wonderful stationary collection!! I know it might sound funny but I too have a very huge stationary collection!! A variety of erasers,in all shapes and forms, pens , crayons...ufff and what not!! Then during a casual chit-chat my aunt happened to mention that my cousin keeps losing her stationary in school...and for every one thing that she loses she makes it a point to buy 2 of it as compensation!!.(secret of her huge collection!!)


Later while playing with my cousin I told her
Me: "Nee school le unnode thingsla thollachittuvareyame eppadi?"
[You lose your things in school itseems...how?]
My cousin: "Aaama...Kizhe vizhuntha naan edukkarthille"
[Ya if they fall down I don't pick it up]
Me:"Kizhe vizhuntha edduthu ko."
[When it falls down pick it up]


Okay this was it and after few more days we left for B'lore. After a week or so my mum called them up. I also spoke to my cousin and then my aunt. My aunt then told me that after our visit my cousin didn't lose her stuff in school. I was flattered that my words had been effective. However my aunt went on to say that now she even brings others stuff also when they fall down!! :D
It was hilarious!! I should have spoken carefully asking her to pick up only her things when they fall down.


Well this is a very small incident but it kind of made me realize the importance of speaking carefully. We might mean to say something else but how the others take it...that we don't know!! Maybe a lot of misunderstandings , misconceptions are because we speak very carelessly. So choose your words carefully before speaking and please think before your speak!!

No comments: